Lancaster bed and breakfast Lancaster romantic getaway
the inn rooms directions reservations itineraries guestbook blog

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Ghost stories

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't believe in ghosts.

However, I also can't explain why the electric fireplace in our room turns itself on at odd hours throughout the day. We thought it was the niece or nephew, or maybe some interference from one of the other remotes, but Dawn was lying in bed last night when it happened, and I wasn't doing anything, and nobody else was around.

I also can't explain why the door to my office is ajar every morning, even though I'm sure I closed it tightly. I know there is some reasonable, logical explanation and I refuse to attribute the unknown to something supernatural.

But for now I'll walk quickly through darkened rooms, and turn on all the lights where possible, and remind myself that it's an old house with a lot of idiosyncracies.

And a lot of history.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed your journey. I stumbled across your journal/blog while searching for "amish quilt" on a rainy day back in May. I was mystified as to how I'd arrived here but ended up happy that I did.

My brother is in York County and many of my father's family were pioneers of Armstrong and Clarion Counties so I found your restoration particularly interesting.

We have a trip planned to your area (Lancaster) to do some research on yet another branch of my family tree. In my case it seems all roads lead to Pennsylvania... We'd love to come spend a few days with you sometime late this fall, or early next spring.

I think you've done an amazing job with your "old house," ghosts or no ghosts.

7:22 PM  
Blogger GH said...

Thanks for the kind words, Brenda.

I have a follow-up to the ghost story: Today Dawn walked into our bedroom to do something, and she announced (to no one in particular) that she would be there for a little while and didn't mind if the fireplace was on.

A minute later, the fireplace came on.

Nobody else was in the house.

1:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home