Lancaster bed and breakfast Lancaster romantic getaway
the inn rooms directions reservations itineraries guestbook blog

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Social gaffes

You knew it wouldn't take long for me to assemble a collection of stupid things I've done at the B&B:

  • I was collecting plates to serve the main course, and found one guest had put her bread crust on the dinner plate. Rather than take the plate into the kitchen and dispose of the crust, I picked up her knife and pushed the crust onto her bread plate. Half-way through I realized what a horrible thing I was doing, but it was too late to stop.
  • I had a reservation for "Henry" and a man arrived at the B&B and introduced himself as "Hank." I just stared blankly at him, waiting for him to tell me why he was there. After about 30 seconds of silence, he asked me if I was the innkeeper, and I said yes. After another 30 seconds of silence, he said he had a reservation, and I almost told him no, he didn't, until my brain finally kicked in.
  • One guest called and told me he'd be arriving around 10pm, and I fell asleep in the library waiting for him. When his knocking roused me, I met him at the door in full zombie mode: I didn't have him sign in, I didn't give him his room key, and I didn't show him where anything was or how to work anything in the room. (I'm lucky I showed him the right room.) The only thing I remember telling him was, "You're welcome to use the tub." What kind of stupid thing is that to tell a guest?

Coming next week: "Social Gaffes II: Will Blunders Never Cease"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home