Lancaster bed and breakfast Lancaster romantic getaway
the inn rooms directions reservations itineraries guestbook blog

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Rejected

Hmph. My application to the local B&B association was rejected.

I'm not so much upset as just dumbfounded. I mentioned before that they have this bizarre hazing ritual: They wouldn't talk to us before we opened, after we opened they had eight people come to "inspect" us, then we had to go to a meeting, then we had to wait another month to get voted in, so it was going to be September before they let us in, anyway. Then today they sent me a rejection notice saying, "we feel you need a few months...before becoming a member." !

They did give us a list of recommendations before they'd reconsider us for membership, though:

  • "Directions to B&B clear and accurate." I had an open house with over 500 people and only one person got lost. None of my guests have gotten lost. But the B&B association got lost, so apparently I don't have clear directions.
  • "Adequate lighting in guest rooms." They got us on that one: Dawn's been rewiring her grandparent's table lamps, but didn't have them finished for the inspection. Now all of the rooms have bedside lamps, which is a AAA requirement, anyway.
  • "Well maintained grounds." I have no idea what this referred to, because everyone who has visited has commented on how beautiful the property is. We were still working on the Summer Kitchen, so maybe there was some equipment around.
  • "Written B&B information for guest." Again, not sure what they were referring to--maybe menus for local restaurants or something?
  • "Fire extinguisher in kitchen and all rooms." This was the only item they brought up during the inspection, and I just pointed out that our township doesn't require it. It's probably a good idea to have an extra fire extinguisher--we do have one in the kitchen--but every room? Well, I guess then I could provide "written information for the guest" on how to use the fire extinguisher!

Anyway, I expected the local association to help us become a better B&B, not to tell us we're not good enough to join. They didn't even invite us to their annual picnic. :-(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home