Lancaster bed and breakfast Lancaster romantic getaway
the inn rooms directions reservations itineraries guestbook blog

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Gen-X

I am "Generation X," which really doesn't mean anything except that I'm not a baby boomer. I think I do fit the gen-x profile, though: tech-savvy, skeptical, and interested in value more than brand.

That same stereotype, however, means that from a marketing perspective, I've already got three strikes against me:

  1. While the Internet has made finding B&Bs easier than ever before, it has also made booking hotels easier than ever before. If you were looking at AAA guide, for example, you'd see hotels mixed in with B&Bs, and one day you'd probably stay at a B&B just to try something different. But if you're online looking at hotels, you're only going to see hotels, so you'll never think of a B&B.
  2. How do you advertise to skeptics, who only trust word of mouth recommendations? Of course, someday I hope to have enough people to promote us, but where do you start?
  3. Gen-Xers are not coming to Lancaster to stay at my B&B. They are coming to experience the Amish, the antique malls, the golf courses, or whatever, and for them, lodging is an incidental expense. If all they want is a clean bed, they can get one a lot cheaper somewhere else, so they won't see the value in the B&B.
  4. Plus I've got a fourth strike:

  5. Gen-Xers are between 28 and 40. Since many put off having kids, most have children under 10. And Gen-Xers, as a group, want to bring their children, not get away from them. Given the historic nature of the mansion, not to mention all of the antiques, the B&B just isn't appropriate for small children.

There is a silver lining, though: Gen-Y. Today's twentysomethings are young, pampered, and "embrace shameless consumerism" (according to a study I read) and--this was kind of scary--they considerably outnumber us Gen-Xers. (50 million from 1965-1980, as opposed to 57 million from 1981-1995.) They aren't just comfortable with technology, they require it. I already have wireless high speed Internet access and alarm clocks with an MP3 line; now I just have to set up some IM bots and podcasts to advertise. (And I'm working on a viral video--details soon.) However, this blog is so Gen-X--I really need to set up a MySpace or YouTube page.

Plus I've still got the boomers, all 76 million of them. The early boomers are retiring and looking to travel, and the late boomers have teenagers and still want (need) to get away. They know about and love B&Bs, and they appreciate history, elegance, and luxury, which is my target market.

Of course, this is all gross stereotyping, but that's what marketing is, right?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not all Gen-Xrs are the same! I am staying in Lancaster strictly for your B&B. I chose your B&B for the history, the property and the picture of the tea room/parlor! I have already forwarded your info on to just about everyone I know with a computer. I've never stayed in a B&B as most of us Gen-Xrs are working too hard to get a vacation and when we go its usually to some place for a week or two to have quite a few drinks and let our hair down. Mostly these vacations do not involve too much quiet seclusion and resting time. I'm thinking your B&B may change my way of thinking! I work with mostly type A personalities who could use a long weekend, a whirlpool bath and some romance. I think you should focus on the quiet ambiance and romance.

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home